Skip to main content

Featured post

The Most Popular Romance Movies You Should See

I really love watching romantic movies , so for all those romantics out there, I have compiled a list of movies that I have enjoyed in the past. Here they are...

Unorthodox: A Miniseries on Netflix

Unorthodox: Another popular tv series on Netflix!

Photo by Wikipedia


A friend of mine recommended a mini tv series called Unorthodox on Netflix. Just when I was thinking I had run out of things to watch this tv series came my way. I needed something interesting to occupy my free time and this popular series hooked me immediately.

Unorthodox is a German-American miniseries on Netflix. It is based on an autobiography written by Deborah Felman. It’s about Etsy Shapiro’s life growing up and living with the Jewish faith in an ultra-Orthodox Satmar Hasidic community in Brooklyn, New York City. The tv show stars the Israeli actress, Shira Haas.
We see Etsy grow up in a community that some may think harsh and degrading to women. There are rules in this community and everyone has to follow them including Etsy who is told she has to have an arranged marriage at 19 years old. There are also unimaginable rules for her before she can eventually marry like having her head shaved and wearing a dark brown wig for the rest of her life. This is not the only rule though. It sounds awful, doesn’t it, but very true!

Etsy’s arranged marriage starts to fail along with her strict tradition. She realizes she can’t keep up a life there as she becomes more and more suffocated by pressure from her husband, Yanky’s family. So, she decides to run away from her marriage to Berlin where her mother has lived since she was banished from the community when Etsy was a young girl. From there, things get interesting for Etsy and the story develops as Etsy discovers what life in another place other than the community she has grown up in has to offer her.

I found Unorthodox highly addictive to watch. You could actually watch this four-part miniseries in one day and why wouldn’t you if you are enjoying it.

There are subtitles at the beginning but once Etsy is in Berlin, there is a lot of English speaking. Of course, there will be more subtitles on and off throughout the series but this didn’t put me off watching because I didn’t have time to be bored. To be honest, I binged watched this show in one day because I couldn’t stop watching it.

It was an unusual story that I hadn’t come across before. I believe the book might be better so perhaps I might read that next.

I highly recommend this show and rate it 9 out of 10.



Read more below:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maid Covering Emotional Abuse and Alcoholic Issues

Maid is a Netflix tv show with a difference as fans watch with relatable experience. Photo from Rotten Tomatoes

The Most Popular Romance Movies You Should See

I really love watching romantic movies , so for all those romantics out there, I have compiled a list of movies that I have enjoyed in the past. Here they are...

The Affair - A Binge-worthy TV Show

If you’re looking for a binge-worthy tv show to immerse yourself into then watch The Affair.

Cookies

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. See details